So many of our favorite sources for design inspiration these days are do-it-yourself (DIY) sites. We love that the projects they feature range from the easy-peasy to the getting out the power tools sort. With all abilities and skill sets represented, anybody can get swept up in the DIY spirit— from creating a simple nursery accent piece to building most of the nursery décor themselves. Either way, craft projects are the perfect way to incorporate one-of-a-kind elements in to your baby’s nursery. And let’s not forget the main reason people do DIYs— they’re a lot of fun!
Here are some of our favorite projects for the nursery:
(1) Making your own crib sheets may seem like an impossible task, but this tutorial by Stephanie Sabbe makes it seem easy and enjoyable. All you need is a sewing machine and some great fabric to get started. We love the bold geometric pattern she used in her demo! Try something similar for an unexpected twist on polka dots.
(2) You’ll recognize this neat photo effect from your favorite commercials and professional photography. Bet you never realized how simple it was! Use the bokeh effect to transform points of light into hearts, starts or any other shape. A framed print always looks lovely in a nursery.
(3) You’d never guess this ultra-modern work of art was made from potato prints! Older kids will have fun contributing to this project alongside mom or dad.
(4) Chevron has been popping up lately as a fresh alternative to checks and stripes, and we are definitely loving this trend! We are also digging the crisp combo of turquoise and white that House of Smiths used in their painted rug tutorial. This piece would look darling in any nursery. Just be sure to check that your paints are baby-safe before you begin!
(5) This crayon monogram project takes no time to make but looks stunning on a wall. Use the classic rainbow pattern featured here or chose colors from your crib bedding for a different look.
(6) Garland buntings are some of our absolute favorite nursery decorations. They add a great pop of color to a room and almost radiate cheer. We love the way Adventures in Dressmaking repurposed scraps from other projects to make these. What a great way to get rid of a fabric stash!
(7) It’s sometimes easy to forget window treatments, but when done right they can add a lot to a room. These elephant patterned cornices require some more involved construction, but they look so adorable when completed that it’s certainly worth the effort.
We hope we’ve given you some inspiration to get down the sewing machine or take out the camera! Be sure to upload a picture of your completed projects to our facebook page. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!